Press Release –REEScue Project
Friday, 17 March 2023
Place: Tulcea – Romania
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
The REEScue project under ERANET-ERAMIN 3- REEScue “Integrated process for the recovery of Rare Earth Elements and Scandium from Bauxite Residues” launched in 1st of October 2020, under coordination of National Technical University of Athens (NTUA), in cooperation with its academic partner Necmettin Erbakan Üniversitesi (Turkey) and three industrial partners: Mytilineos SA (Greece), ALUM SA (Romania), ETI Aluminyum (Turkey), obtained the extension of the project duration with 6 months, needed due to delays in obtaining the project financing. (https://reescue.com/).
We emphasize that the results obtained by the consortium participants during the course of the project are promising and justify the continuation of the research started 30 months ago.
The stage of sampling and characterization of the bauxite residue samples was completed and the experimental procedures for the recovery of Rare Earth Elements and Scandium from the bauxite residue are in progress. The academic partners will disseminate the results obtained so far through the publication of the following scientific articles:
• Technical University of Athens (NTUA) will publish in “Journal of Sustainable Metallurgy” the scientific article: “Hydrothermal Treatment/Magnetic Separation”.
• Necmetin Erbakan Universitesi (NEU) will publish in “Journal of Sustainable Metallurgy” two scientific papers:“Possibilities of extracting Rare Earth Elements from bauxite residue using concentrated acid and low solid/liquid ratio – industrial applications”“Efficient extraction of Rare Earth Elements from bauxite residue by hydrothermal treatment and acid solubilization”
The REEScue project is supported by grants of the:
- General Secretariat for Research and Technology (GSRT) from Greece for National Technical University of Athens NTUA and Mytilineos SA
- Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TUBITAK) for Necmettin Erbakan Üniversitesi and ETI Aluminyum A.S.
- Executive Unit for the Financing of Higher Education, Research, Development and Innovation (UEFISCDI) from Romania for ALUM, by financing contract no 182/2020
Prof. IOANNIS PASPALIARIS – Project Coordinator
Address: School of Mining and Metallurgical Engineering Iroon Polytechniou 9 str., GR15773 Zografou Campus, Athens, Greece